We are having an ABC Summer! My pal Jen has done this for the past few summers with her sweet littles, and a couple of blogs I read also have had fun ideas for a similar experience for kids. From what I can gather, the activities really don't matter, it's up to each parent to choose what to do, but I've learned that one must go in order to be considered successful. So, we are beginning with A and will end up with Z by the end of the summer. Jen shared her ideas with me that she's done in the past, and it's been fun to try to think of what I already have planned and how to incorporate this all together.
We started last week with A, and grabbed our aprons to make some cookies for a barbeque party that we were looking forward to going to. I've written before that K & T both like helping with any job, especially if it's in the kitchen. Getting cookies at the end of it was a bonus!
 |
| Here are my helpers, in their aprons, ready to bake! |
 |
| T dumps in the softened butter. |
 |
| K added the sugar. |
 |
| While that creamed together with eggs and brown sugar, the kids mixed the flour, baking soda and powder. |
 |
| I asked them to put their hands out, and I put some butterscotch chips in them. |
 |
| T tried them right away. |
 |
| K was a bit more cautious, which isn't surprising since she doesn't have much of a sweet tooth. |
 |
| Then she questioned me about them. |
 |
| We added the chips, and oatmeal into the mixture and are ready to scoop! T is trying to hard not to bang that scoop on the tray here. We scooped a dozen, and baked them for 7 minutes. |
 |
| T & K cleaned up, and cuddled and watched a movie for quiet time, while I finished baking the cookies. |
 |
| Here the finished product, oatmeal scotchies. |
 |
| We had a little snack of cookies and milk after quiet time. |
 |
| T loved his! |
 |
| This beautiful thing ate a couple of bites and then finished her milk. |
A is for Aprons, I can't wait to see how the rest of the alphabet unfolds!