Monday, January 18, 2016

thumbprints ornaments

Each year we try to make a gift for K & T's grandparents.  As the kids are still little, we have been able to do several different ones using hand and thumbprints.  This year I found a new recipe on pinterest and wanted to give it a try.  I love the look of the snow white ornaments made mostly of baking soda.  The kids thought the whole process was facinating, and quite frankly, I did too!
We added baking powder, cornstarch & water to a pan over medium heat (recipe here) and I stirred until this ball of dough was formed.
When it was just warm, I split it between K & T.  They squished and squished to knead it.
Happy Helper
Trying hard to knead.  Next, we gently rolled out the dough, and used cups to cut the circles. (I helped with this part, so no pictures)
 I helped the kids press their thumbprints into the circles that we cut to create a heart shape.  Then, we carefully used a straw to cut out a hanging hole. 
Finally, we let them dry for a few hours before we used a Qtip to paint their hearts.  
I bet you can guess whose is whose right?  Yep, blue is T and pink is K.

In the end, this was a fun project.  I think I like the smaller circles the best.  I'm not sure how sturdy this dough is, so we carefully wrapped up on ornaments for next year.  If they crumble, it was easy enough to do again.  Best of all, the grandparents seemed pleased with the gifts from K & T.