Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone
Yet still miraculously my own
Never forget for a single minute
You didn't grow under my heart, but in it.
- Fleur Conkling Heylinger
Nor bone of my bone
Yet still miraculously my own
Never forget for a single minute
You didn't grow under my heart, but in it.
- Fleur Conkling Heylinger
I've come to love many quotes about adoption, I've decided to share two of them here today. They really translate the feelings that I have in my heart about my babies.
Today is an important event in this month of anniversaries, a day that I will remember for the rest of my life. It was the day we met K & T for the first time. I remember driving in the adoption manager's van to the foster home, I was in the back seat and Andy in the passenger's seat. We were being given excellent advice from a woman with lots of years of experience, and I was trying to remember it all, while trying to imagine what our babies actually looked liked and how this meeting would go. My mind was racing to say the least.
I remember pulling up to a beautiful house and the foster parents were outside in the front of the house with the kids. The children really were just babies! The foster mom was holding T, and K was running in the yard with the foster dad. The adoption manager said, "Well, there they are!" She then turned to me, and said, "Yes Mom, this is real. Those are your babies", even though I had said nothing. She had just read my mind. After we anxiously piled out, T was handed over quickly with a "Here, Daddy" to Andy, and K was walked over to us holding a fistful of dandelions for Mommy (which I still have). What was to be a one hour meeting turned into three, while we visited with the incredible foster parents and played with the kids. T, being so little, was easy to pass around. He slept, drank a bottle and stared with his beautiful blue eyes. K, was a little shy, and that was expected (especially now that we know her so well). She was really attached to her foster parents, and thank goodness! We learned of her love of playing outside, and how she usually spent her days. We got to watch her eat lunch and play at a home that she knew so well. I remember being outside in the backyard and playing with K as she piled mulch on a bench and knocked it off, over and over again. It was a magical and miraculous day. We will forever be grateful for K & T's foster parents who treated these babies as their very own. They gave K & T a terrific start, and they will always be important in our lives. Thank you sweet foster family!
I've included pictures in this post from that memorable day, along with pictures I took just yesterday to compare how K & T have grown in a year. It is just amazing to see the similarities and differences. Where does the time go?
Dear K & T, one year ago we met you for the very first time. It was one of the best days of my entire life. We got to hold you, kiss you, hug you and begin learning what incredible children you each are. We are so thankful for each of you and look forward to a lifetime filled with laughing, learning and lots of love!
The Gift of Life
I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know.
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.
For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true!
No, I didn't give you
The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.
--- Unknown
I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know.
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.
For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true!
No, I didn't give you
The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.
--- Unknown