Recently, we had a family night at my school to promote reading, and I volunteered to help. The night was in honor of one of my favorite children's author's, Mo Willems. He is the author of the Pigeon books that my firsties just love to read, read and reread. He has lots of other books too, each with unique characters and simple illustrations. If you haven't read
Knufflebunny, it must be added to your bucket list.
I thought that K would like to come to my school and that she might even enjoy some of the activities that were planned. She was excited to tag along for a little Mommy/Daughter fun. Daddy took T for a haircut while we were out. It was fun to create new memories with K, especially in a place that I spend a lot of my time.
 |
| Here's a quick shot in our cafeteria, this is where the evening began. |
 |
| The children were divided into groups and the parents stayed back while our principal talked to them about starting the school year off right and the importance of homework. She also reviewed our report card with them. The group that we were in went to the smartboard room for a story. The featured book was called, I Am Invited to a Party! K did well for the first couple of minutes, but then she started to get restless and a little noisy. I wanted the night to be positive for her, and a teacher pal of mine volunteered her daughter to play with K in the gym while I attended to the group. K was happy to play ball with a new pal in a giant loud room! |
 |
| Our group then moved to our science lab for a little crafting fun. I knew this would be right up K's alley! Coloring is one of her favorite things to do. Ke (K's new friend) was so helpful and kind to K. Ke helped K make her party hat and made sure that it was covered with stickers. K had a blast. |
 |
| Ke and K working hard. |
 |
| All done! Thank you Ke! |
 |
| Our final stop was back to the cafeteria for a little dancing with all the kids. K was happy to hop and jump and scream right along. |
 |
| What's a party without a cupcake? K happily licked off the icing of this sweet treat before handing me the cake. She also sampled Hawaiian Punch from a cup. I'm not sure she liked it, she asked for her milk cup after trying it. After the treat it was time to head home. We had a great night, and I'm so glad that K tagged along, I just love hanging out with my girl. |
|
|