I listened and asked questions about what she wanted for her party for a few weeks, she had lots of ideas just as most almost 5 year old girls do. She likes both mermaids and princesses and kept going back and forth between the two. I secretly hoped she would choose a mermaid party, because I knew someone who could make a darling mermaid cake. But, in the end, she chose to have another princess party. After this choice, I asked her about the cake, and she reminded me that she wanted a princess cake with the doll. So, I asked a couple of friends who make cakes if they've ever made one, and they told me no they hadn't. I watched several youtube vidoes about it, but just got nervous about making the cake that she wanted. One evening I asked K if she wanted to be able to play with the doll after the party, and she said 'of course'. I thought I'd found my opening, and I convinced her that she really wanted the doll, not the cake. I promised to buy her a Barbie doll that she could actually play with, and that I'd make her some pretty cupcakes for her party. She seemed content, but I felt horrible. I made her believe something that wasn't true. It ate at me for a couple of days.
The night before the party, after the kids were asleep, I started the cake. I didn't want K to know what I was trying to do. I didn't want her to be let down. I finally told myself, that if I failed, she wouldn't know about it, and that she'd have pretty cupcakes anyway.
Thank goodness for youtube! I baked the cake, let it cool, iced it, and used store bought flowers to jazz it up. I finished in the wee hours of the morning, but I knew she would be happy.
So, the morning of the party came, we had decorations out, people over, food being eaten and the cake being hidden. When it came time for the cake, we had her hide her eyes as we brought out the princess cake. She hid her eyes until we said "open up!" What a good girl. I grabbed my camera so that I could catch her reaction.
I'm so glad that I took a leap and tried something that I thought was hard. I didn't want to let her down. I hope to always remember the lesson of the cake, and continue to try when failure might happen. Good things may happen too.
I love you K, you are my favorite little girl in the whole wide world!
So, the morning of the party came, we had decorations out, people over, food being eaten and the cake being hidden. When it came time for the cake, we had her hide her eyes as we brought out the princess cake. She hid her eyes until we said "open up!" What a good girl. I grabbed my camera so that I could catch her reaction.
| Seeing K's face was the best moment of the party for me. She. was. thrilled. I was in Momma heaven. I had made her so happy. |
I love you K, you are my favorite little girl in the whole wide world!