Monday, January 6, 2014

Scissors

The kids are growing up quickly, and I was reminded of that fact when K asked me if she could use scissors recently.  Luckily I had some kid scissors on hand, and we went through the rules of scissors with both K & T, since I knew he would want to try too.  (Monkey See, Monkey Do)

Rule #1  We only cut paper.  Ever.  Only paper.  Even if other people are doing crazy things.  Paper only.
Rule #2 You must be sitting at the table to work with scissors.  No walking around and never running.
Rule #3  We only cut paper.
Rule #3 Go slow, learning to cut properly takes practice.  You will get better.
Rule #4 What do we cut?  Paper!  (As a first grade teacher, I've seen everything from hair, to skin, to pants' legs being cut off jeans with kid scissors.  I'm trying to be preventative!) 
Both K & T have loved practicing with scissors, and we all find cutting snowflakes as the perfect product to make!