Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Mr. Turkey
I just have to share a little story that happened a couple of weeks ago. K & T were jumping on the trampoline, and all was well for a few minutes. T then started to jump too close to K, and began to pull her hair, probably to get her attention. I reminded him to give her space, and he did. But before I knew it, he was right back at it.
K is a super sister sometimes, and rarely acts out at T when he does this. She just started telling him, "No, no, T, no, no, no, hair". I reminded him again to give her space, but this time he stopped pulling her hair, but he didn't move away. So, I told him if he didn't come see me then he would earn a timeout and have to stop jumping. Then I started counting to three, which is what we normally do. Up until this day, T had always complied by 1...2. But he must have felt really naughty and he didn't do anything but stand there when I said 1...2...3.
My mind went blank for a nanosecond. "Oh no", I thought, "now what"?!? Then I remember that I'm a teacher and I deal with this stuff all the time.
So, I unzipped the trampoline and asked him to come to me again (I can't reach all the way across the trampoline, so I was leaning way in, and K was just standing and began saying "T, trouble. T trouble." If I didn't actually see the next part happen, I woudn't believe it...
T slowly backed up all the way to the back of the trampoline and slowly slid down the net while looking at me right in the eyes and said, "I.... sleeping.... now!". Then he laid down and closed his eyes.
I laughed right outloud (as I'm doing right now recounting this story) then I pulled myself together and told K to come out, that she wasn't in trouble and she did. I quick zipped up the trampoline knowing that T doesn't like to be in there alone...He ran right over!
Oh boy are we in trouble when he learns more words. This is why the Mr. T sometimes stands for Mr. Turkey.