Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A glimpse of Summer

I took a personal day today and was so happy to be at home with K & T.  Boy oh boy are they ever fun! Just yesterday someone asked me if they were twins (for the umpteenth time), and my answer is always, "they might as well be". They are two peas in a pod for sure, and today was no exception.  It's been awhile since I've run down their daily schedule, so I jotted a few things down today and snapped some pictures to document the day.

8:15 am- I heard T playing in his crib, squeezing one of his noisy toys over and over while chatting to it
8:18 am- large clap of thunder outside, T yelled for me.  When I walked in he said to me, "Mommy, the funder hurt my feelings" (meaning the thunder was too loud).  I took T into the bathroom to brush his teeth where he promptly turned out the light and said "It's too bright in my eyes".
8:20 am- K was up and talking loudly in her bed about the storm.  I opened her door and she jumped up, ready to go to the bathroom, brush her teeth and start her day.  She's not a fan of thunderstorms either.
8:25 am- got T dressed and he asked me if Nana was coming today.  I told him it's a Mommy Day, and he asked me if I could go to work for just a little bit so that Nana could come and play with him.  I love, love, love that T loves my mom that much.  They are such good buddies!  I dressed both kids in tank tops and shorts, and K told me that her top looked like a swimsuit, and that she liked it. I told T that I liked the big fish on his shirt and he said "Mommy, it's a WHALE (loudly)".  ;)
8:30 am- We came downstairs and they grabbed a couple of things to play with, and a couple of books for me to read with them before breakfast.

Last night Auntie Sarah gave them each an older camera that she had come across, K & T were so excited to play with them today, K grabbed hers first thing!
9:00 am- They requested cereal for breakfast, so we had Lucky Charms, K's with milk, T's without (his choice).  They also ate a handful of blueberries, a couple of donuts, and each had a cup of milk.  T is still drinking vanilla soymilk, not because he's lactose intolerant anymore, but because he prefers the taste to cow's milk.  T has recently started practicing eating at the table and is continuing to learn that he needs to stay in his chair the entire meal and not get down just because.  We still use the high chair quite often for him, and plan to phase it out completely this summer.

9:27 am- breakfast was finished, and kids were cleaned up and playing the family room.
10:00 am- T wanted to go outside, but the rain was still coming down.  He even put on his shoes to try to convince me to go out.
10:01 am- we compromised about going outside when he said he would play at the sink in the water.  He grabbed the stools while K ran over to join him. Instant happy!

10:23 am- K said she was done at the sink, so she jumped down, dried off, and grabbed some markers for a little coloring while T splashed on.

Here's T getting a little worried that his shirt is wet...
so we problem solved, and he opted for me to hold his shirt while he played.
10:45 am- we cleaned up quick, grabbed our shoes and went to playgroup at Heather's house.  Everyone was excited!  The kids got to see some of their favorite friends this morning, and I got to see some of mine!  It made me so anxious for summer.  We'll get to go weekly over the next few weeks.  While at Heather's today, the kids played a bunch, dressed up, ran around, snacked and played some more.  It was a terrific morning.
Here's our little hero in action
And our little princess who loves to play dress up
This is K at the end of playgroup, she carried those two dogs around, tucked into that scarf for most of the morning!
12:30 pm- we left playgroup, did a little grocery shopping at one of the kids' favorite places, and headed home for lunch.  The kids chose to have Nutella sandwiches, grapes, a banana, potato chips, a hard boiled egg (for T only) and milk.

2:30 pm- kids went to quickly for naps, they were worn out!  (No pics of this, didn't want to chance waking kiddos up) While kids slept, I worked on report cards and graded papers.
5:00 pm- K was awake when I went into her room, she happily got up, grabbed her purple Friend to bring downstairs and headed that way.  T was sleeping when I walked into his room, so I started quietly singing to him.  He didn't stand up right away so I offered to give him another minute in bed if he wanted.  He said yes, and snuggled down with his Friend and bink.  I walked away for just a couple of minutes, straightened up in K's room, went back in to his room. This time T was happy to get up, drop his bink in bed and get  ready for the evening.
5:05 pm- We came downstairs, T & K played around for a couple of minutes and then K asked me if she could play on the ipad.  I agreed, and she ran to the couch to watch an episode of Curious George, that she can load on all by herself.  This is typical for her, she likes to watch Netflix while I'm making dinner, and T plays around, chats with me and wants to help when he can.  Sometimes they snuggle up together on a beanbag or the couch to watch, but he is usually busying himself with something.  On this particular afternoon, he was doing a little maintenance on his airplane, coloring with markers on chart paper and running laps in the kitchen.
And they're off! 
She's crazy about the cameras!
I'd hire this guy
Our little techie
Notice how he tucked his hammer into his shirt, he does this quite often. He's Flynn Ryder (from Tangled) when he does this.

He looks so much older to me here!
6:15 pm- We sat down for dinner.  Wednesdays are Andy's Scout night at church, so it was just me & the kids at dinner.  We have tried really hard this year to read our scriptures as a family, so I always leave them on the table to remind me to do it.  After reading a few verses and summarizing them for the kids, I was talking about Jesus Christ and told them that He would return to the Earth some day.  K, out of no where, started to tell me that Jesus rubbed dirt on a man's eyes who couldn't see and told that man to wash his eyes. And then the man could see.  I asked her where she learned about that and she told me in her Sunday School class.  I was blown away!  I ask her every week on the way home from church, what she learned about, but this was the first time that she actually recalled a Bible story for me rather than just sharing general information.  I was so proud of her!

For dinner tonight, I made spaghetti & garlic bread, I gathered  raw veggies, heated up a little leftover pizza and washed some grapes.  The kids are not huge pasta fans, but do like pizza.  So I put a little of everything on their plates and let them eat what they wanted.
Becoming a noodle master
This kiddo hearts garlic bread, he eats the crust and everything!
Silly girl and her olives
7:00 pm- K & T asked for a treat, so I gave them small dishes of cookies & cream ice cream which they gobbled too quickly for me to take a photo of.  :)
7:15 pm- I cleaned both dinner and the kids up, they played around for a few minutes, then I asked them to grab their shoes.  They happily did this because they knew....we finally get the go outside.  The rain stopped!  7:20 pm- We played in the driveway because the backyard was soaked.  For real.  They got out the bubbles, and the ride on toys and some other things to push around, but I only snapped a few pics so that I could play referee at the bottom of the driveway for safety.  While we are outside, K & T have begun to recently realize that we are not the only people out there.  If neighbors are walking their dogs, or riding bikes (if we know them or not), the kids will both wave and yell 'HIIIIIIIII' until they get a response.  Luckily, we live in a friendly neighborhood, so most everyone waves or talks back.
Pausing for a quick photo
My little handy man
I adore this little girl! Aren't her eyes just gorgeous?
She's a busy one.  Currently, while she's playing, she comes up with wild tails about what she thinks is happening.  She has a great imagination.
Playing together 
Make a CRaZy face if you're ready for Summer!
 
8:20 pm- Andy arrived home. K & T are always happy when he gets home! We all played outside for just a few more minutes with Daddy.  Then Andy gathered up kids, had them go inside to take off their shoes, asked them to find their Friends (the stuffed things they had brought down from naps) and head upstairs for a bath. I quickly put away all of the stuff we had gotten out and went to help get them dressed after baths.  We usually start baths at 8, but Scout night puts us a bit later.  Andy wants to see them for a few minutes on this night, and the kids are anxious to see him.
8:38 pm- K & T had had a bath, were snuggled in clean pajamas in our bed, and each chose a story (K picked Heads by Matthew Van Fleet, and T picked Frosty the Snowman) that I read.  They then each picked a song and each chose If You're Happy & You Know It.  We finished up our nightly routine with family prayer, giving hugs & kisses and letting them have a last drink of water.
8:50 pm- Andy & I finished up in the kids' rooms, saying a prayer with them (me with K and Andy with T) and a couple final songs.  K's alltime favorite bedtime song continues to be Skidamarink, while T has lots of faves.  Right now he likes Ten In the Bed, Itsy Bitsy Spider and Hello Goodbye by the Beatles. He has a little more milk in his room from a sippy cup.  T has a big summer ahead, we are going to eliminate the bink, try to potty train, and eliminate that last milk cup.  I can't believe we're at this stage already!

Today was such a great day with the kids.  I cannot say enough how much I love them.  They have added such love, light and laughter to our lives.  It is still amazing to me that they are ours, and how perfect they are, but I suppose that's how miracles work.

I am SO READY FOR SUMMER!